August 20, 2008

Can't believe it!

I've put off posting again for about three weeks now because it all just seems to good to be true. We got a little bit of an early tip off from a nurse practitioner that has become very attached to Nicole and I (and we to her). Because we waited until day 5 to transfer the Embryos the blood tests were two days earlier (on days 6 & 8). On day 6 (July 29) I called with a question on when we would get results on day 8 (they don't normally tell you until after the second test) and she was just giddy when she called me back. Our result was 26 (should be 5 or higher) so we waited anxiously to hear that it at least doubled. Our day 8 (July 31) was 116 which was excellent.

We were very relieved but I can't say that I was excited yet, we had gotten to this point once before only to have it be a chemical pregnancy. I was relieved but anxious for more confirmation. I know you can't be "a little pregnant" but it certainly felt that way.

Then on day 20 (Aug 11) we hit the jackpot! 7,413. What a relief! I finally feel like I can be excited but it still feels kind of imaginary, like someone could come and say "oops we made a mistake, it was someone else's blood results". We have had so many snags along the way. A lot of blessings in disguise. They have all worked out eventually but man I've been scrambling all along to make it all work.

Researching online it really sounds like you can't determine if it's a singleton or twins with the HCG unless it is way out of range because the ranges overlap. Everyone seems to have their own opinion. Our NP told me that the numbers said single on day 20 but then she told Nicole that she thought it was twins anyway. She knew that we really would be thrilled if that were the case but there is nothing to do but wait for the Ultrasound (US) (I'm sensing a theme here!) I really just feel like we would be lucky to get a heart beat.

The week 7 US is scheduled for August 22nd at 9:30. The heart beat is what I really need for this to feel real. And pictures. Early in the day, yeah! Week 9 is Sept 5th and then Nicole will graduate from the clinic to a regular OB.

Tom is still "skeptical" as he likes to say but last week after the day 20 numbers he said he was starting to believe it. For anyone who knows Tom well, that is a big statement. I'm anxious, excited, terrified, having freakish dreams. My sisters tell me you start to worry when you're trying to get pregnant and then you just never stop. That sounds about right.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Oh, Janae!!! I am so excited that things seem to be progressing!!! Can't wait for more updates. What a blessing! Hang in there. :)