Or not! We got it done but it wasn't pretty. We decided since we were painting the nursery and it may be a loooong time before we can undertake big projects again (outside of leaving the house with the babies), we would paint some other rooms while we were at it. We picked a color for the bathroom and the office as well.
It took 4 trips (if you don't count the four for samples) to the paint store, which by the way is 18 miles from my house to get the right amount of paint. After the 2nd trip "Ryan" at the paint store started to refer to me by my first name and declared me customer of the week. Does that come with free paint?
Friday night we started painting the nursery with our very nice "one coat coverage" paint from Benjamin Moore. I think the theory is that if you have enough paint for one good coat you are good to go. When one gallon won't even cover the room, you are on your own!
We had some glitches with the painting tape. Mainly, that I told Tom that he had to wait 24 hours to take the paint off which ended up ripping and taking hunks or paint around the edges with it. About halfway through the nursery he started cuting it off with a razor blade which was a vast improvement. Today Jen (sister) tells me you take the paint off when it's wet. Thanks for nothing Jen! (Just kidding, I love you!)
After a few hours crawling around on our knees doing touch up by hand it looks as good as new, which it is and I discovered a new talent. Turns out I'm pretty good at touching up edges, which anyone who knows my notoriously unsteady hand and unsteady everything else for that matter will find laughable, but I have my own special method. Slather the paint on, don't worry how much gets on the trim then use your long finger nails (they are useful) with a rag over them to wipe up the dripage while it is still wet. Not the traditional method I'm sure but hey, it worked for me. Tom said my edges were much better than his. Big smile.
So here are some pictures. Not sure how well they will show but the nurser is a tan/taupe (called Toast) and the bathroom is a light green (dried parsley.)
Next project coming up...hanging curtains (one is over the side of the crib in the last picture.)

2 comments:
Painting is seriously one of the worst jobs in the world. There is not more fit punishment than making someone paint a room, get the edges right, cover all the missed spots, then tackle the very special task of cleaning the rollers and brushes. Ugh!! Kudos to you. It looks great!
And I'm sure they don't bestow the title of Customer of the Week to just anyone!
It looks great, nice work! Now you just need some babies in that room!
Post a Comment