This is what we have resorted to in order to keep Lila's pull up on at night. She has been potty training since about exactly one month after her first birthday. The first week she gave me a run for my money. I thought I had it made in the shade when one day she saw the little potty I had bought in preparation for whenever they were "ready" to potty train. She and Logan wanted it opened and in the house so I obliged. That same night she asked to sit on it and promptly peed. It was on!
She did great for two days, just a few accidents a day. Then the third day she decided this was no fun anymore and refused to go in the potty for three days! I was at the end of my rope. She would poop in the potty but somehow could still hold her pee and get off and go on the floor. She was a wonder of nature. Logan was a serious mess because she was getting so much attention with me sitting in the bathroom with her waiting for her to go. If it wasn't for my sisters I would have given up and gone back to diapers but they kept warning me if I went back this time it would be even harder the next time we tried to train.
Luckily Tom had a 3-day weekend and I promised to give it until he went back to work on Monday. Friday she just refused to pee period. I sat in the bathroom with her for 1 3/4 hours before her nap because on the other days she had just waited for her pull ups to pee. She didn't go! It wasn't until 8 hours later that she finally went in her pants right after her latest trip to the bathroom. Then the next two days she must have decided we were serious and actually started going in the potty again although mostly for Tom. She is doing amazing now and just wears pull ups for bed time. They are in bed for 12 hours and that is a little long even for her bladder of steel! She has even started running off to the bathroom by herself and yesterday asked me to leave the bathroom...I guess to give her a little privacy. Something I vaguely remember liking.
Now our biggest problem is for some unknown reason (does anyone have insight into a two year old's brain), she has started taking her pull up off when she has to pee at night. I can't tell you how many times I've heard her cry at night and gone in there to find her buck naked asleep in one corner with all her bedding wet in the other! We tried punishment, bribery, all out begging. Nothing worked! Finally I remembered what my friend Liz had done when her kids started taking off their diapers. She took footy pajamas, cut of the feet and put the zipper in the back.
Unfortunately, it is now summer so the fleece footys they sleep in all winter are too hot and I had to go to Carters and get the thin cotton ones. It killed me to cut up brand new pajamas!!! At least now I don't have to run in every time she cries to see if she is naked. I guess in the end it's money well spent.

2 comments:
Next time, you can just put a safety pin right below the zipper tab (blocking the zipper track). It makes it so they can't unzip the pjs themselves and have to wait for you to do it. That's how I've solved the problem when my kids start doing stuff like this. And it would save you from having to cut up the brand-new pjs. :)
That is a great idea. Unfortunately they figured out how to open safety pins a year ago! They kept taking their binky clips off at night and then crying because they couldn't find their binkies so we safety pinned them. Then those started coming off too!
Post a Comment